Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Doldrums

Happy Holidays!

I know it's been a while since my last post, but I haven't forgotten about you all--there just hasn't been much of anything to report. The last four weeks can be rather easily summed up in one run-on sentence: It's gotten bitter cold, classes kicked into a high gear in preparation for the now imminent final exams, there were a few fleeting days of confused weather where we got to enjoy temperatures flirting with the high 40s, now winter has decided he's here to stay, and finals begin on Monday.

To be a bit more specific, this past weekend/earlier this week we had unseasonably warm weather--Sunday was technically just shy of 50. Rather atypical for late-December. Regardless of where that warm front came from, it has been shooed away by the Mongolian winds that dragged the temperatures back below freezing and put the windchill in the single digits.

This semester I have four...or five finals. Two speaking, one listening, one written, and (maybe) a reading comprehension exam. Those last two might just be one big one. Between the weather turning properly cold and exams lurking around the corner, I haven't had much time to go explore, take pictures, or get into trouble. Thanks to the lengthy break surrounding Chinese New Years, I'll be able to remedy that. I did, however, do a bit of exploring right after the last post. Those pictures are up on flickr, so feel free to give those a look. I posted a few highlights below.

On an exciting note, I'm coming home for three weeks immediately following exams. I'll get to drink the tap water (and enjoy other delicacies) from the 8th to the 30th. Hopefully I'll get to see as many of you as possible while I'm home.

Happy Holidays to you and yours!




Giving Grandma a push

Muslim ethnic minority community center

Beijing's largest mosque. Originally constructed in 996.

No comments: